Non-Emergency Medical Transportation

Medicaid may provide reimbursement for non-emergency medical transportation, if you are currently eligible for Traditional Medicaid services and you do not have transportation to get medical care. Transportation is not available to get services from non-Medicaid providers or for non-Medicaid covered services. You may be asked to verify medical appointments. Medicaid may not reimburse you for all services.

Transportation is not available to pick up prescriptions unless you are on the way to or from a medical appointment with a Medicaid provider. For exceptions, check with a Medicaid eligibility worker. Learn more about non-emergency medical transportation in this flyer (English opens in a new tab / Spanish opens in a new tab).


UTA Transit Card – You may receive a UTA Transit Card if you have Traditional Medicaid and live in an area served by UTA. This card is good for the local bus (regular fixed routes and bus rapid transit), TRAX, and streetcar routes. This card should only be used for medical appointments with Medicaid providers and will be monitored by Medicaid. Examples of
medically necessary appointments may include:

  • Doctor office visits
  • Medical screenings
  • Dialysis appointments
  • Dental check-ups

You may NOT use this card for non-medical reasons like work, school, or shopping. The UTA Transit Card has up to 30 monthly rides for medically necessary appointments with Medicaid providers. If you have questions about your eligibility, please call DWS at 1-866-435-7414. For more information on UTA Transit Cards please see the FAQ linked below.


Tarjeta de Tránsito UTA - Usted puede recibir una Tarjeta de Tránsito UTA si usted tiene Medicaid Tradicional y vive en un área con servicio de UTA. Esta tarjeta es válida para el autobús local (rutas fijas regulares y autobús de tránsito rápido), TRAX, y rutas de tranvía. Esta tarjeta se debe usar solo para citas médicas con proveedores de Medicaid y será controlada
por Medicaid. Unos ejemplos de citas médicas necesarias pueden incluir:

  • Consultas médicas
  • Chequeos médicos
  • Citas de diálisis
  • Chequeos dentales

Usted NO puede usar esta tarjeta por razones no médicas como el trabajo, la educación o las compras. La Tarjeta de Tránsito UTA tiene hasta 30 viajes mensuales para citas médicamente necesarias con proveedores de Medicaid. Si tiene preguntas sobre su elegibilidad, por favor llame a DWS al 1-866-435-7414. Para más información sobre las Tarjetas de Tránsito UTA vea abajo para el enlace de las preguntas más frecuentes.

Para-Transit Bus Services are available in some areas. If you live in an area served by FlexTrans and you are approved to receive FlexTrans services, you must contact Medicaid to receive FlexTrans vouchers by calling (801) 538-6155 or toll-free at 1-800-662-9651.

Para-Transit Bus Services Companies


Salt Lake and Davis Counties: (801) 287-7433
Davis, Weber and Box Elder Counties: 1-877-882-7272


Cedar Area Transportation Services (CATS): (435) 865-4510

ModivCare Services

If you do not live in an area served by bus, para-transit services or you need door-to-door service, you may be eligible for ModivCare services. You may be transported by ModivCare for up to four weeks while ModivCare determines your eligibility for door-to-door services. Call 1-855-563-4403 and be prepared to tell ModivCare the doctor’s name and fax number you would like to complete the required Mobility Evaluation. Please check beforehand that your doctor is willing to complete the form for you.

You must contact ModivCare to schedule your ride at least 3 business days before your medical appointment. See the table below to help you know when you need to schedule your ride.

Day of Medical Appointment:

Call no later than the previous:













*Saturday and holiday scheduled appointments are limited to accommodate members needing dialysis or have a condition that requires recurring care.

  • ModivCare: 1-855-563-4403
  • To make an appointment, call: Weekdays 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM
  • Normal transportation services are available: 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM

They may provide some urgent care services for recipients that need to be seen within 24 hours. You must specify that the appointment is for urgent care. ModivCare may verify urgent care.

Overnight Food and Lodging

If you need to stay overnight when obtaining medical treatment, talk to your eligibility worker. Lodging and food costs may be reimbursed if you must travel more than 100 miles one-way to get medical treatment, and you would not arrive home before 8:00 p.m. due to the drive time; or the person must leave before 6:30 a.m. to arrive at the appointment on time; or the medical treatment requires you to stay overnight. Your worker may approve up to two nights lodging and food costs. Additional nights must have a prior authorization by the Division of Medicaid and Health Financing at the Utah Department of Health.

Recipients must stay at a motel, hotel, or other facility that provides overnight shelter such as the Ronald McDonald house. Costs for an attendant can only be reimbursed when the recipient stays with the attendant and is not in a treatment facility. This includes the costs for one parent or guardian who accompanies a child. Receipts are required.

Out of State Travel

If you receive authorization to receive services out-of-state, the transportation may be also authorized (airfare, taxi to and from the airport, travel between your hotel/motel and the hospital or clinic). Reimbursement (up to the maximum allowed) for meals and lodging may also be authorized. Contact 1-855-563-4403 for prior authorization.

Personal Mileage Reimbursement

Local Travel

When public transportation is not available or does not meet your needs, you may be reimbursed personal mileage at 18 cents per mile up to $300 a month. You must keep a mileage log showing the dates and miles traveled. Mileage is only paid for transporting a Medicaid recipient.

Travel Outside the Local Area

When treatment is not available in your local area, you must receive treatment from the nearest Medicaid provider who is able to provide the services; otherwise, you cannot be reimbursed for mileage. Verification may be required.

Mental Health Transportation

Mental health providers are no longer responsible to transport their patients. Patients would follow the same guidelines as any other transportation.

Nursing Home Transportation

Nursing homes are required to provide transportation to medical appointments for their residents. Residents cannot receive bus passes. Any other non-emergency transportation needed that the nursing home does not provide requires prior authorization.

* Children’s Health Insurance Program, Qualified Medicare Beneficiaries Program, Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiaries Program, Qualifying Individual Medicare Cost-Sharing Program, and Emergency Medicaid recipients are NOT eligible for non-emergency transportation or reimbursement.